Friday, November 4, 2011

Moving Forward

Tonight I FINALLY get to start stims!  I am very excited about that.  As referenced previously, because my DH will be traveling overseas next week I needed to stay on the Lupron (suppression medication) for an extra week but now I can finally start to stim and then we will hopefully be pregnant again.  I went in for the always wonderful wakeup of bloodwork and transvaginal ultrasound this morning to make sure everything was good to go, and now I wait for a phone call from the doctor giving me my instructions for tonight's stimulation injection.  I have also started drinking my gatorade so as to prevent OHSS.  (very painful, very bad result of over stimulating). 

We also had an appointment with the developmental pediatrician today and for once I didn't leave the appointment crying.  She was so impressed with how well N is doing and commented that she has hopes he will walk.  I think at the last two appointments he was so young that it was really hard for her to have a good sense of what he could/would do and I picked up on that, she never said anything depressing or horrible to hear, but I think I just felt that vibe.  Not that it has prevented me from being positive about N's progress and potential, but for that day and a few days after the appointment it was really hard for me.  She did feel that N is most likely a Spastic Quad, meaning that all four of his limbs are affected.  I am not entirely sure that this is an accurate diagnosis, but I don't know if there is a true accurate diagnosis for N.  This is because his legs are definitely affect, his left arm is affected, but his right isn't and his face doesn't seem to be either. Not that any of it really matters, it doesn't change our therapies, goals, or how we feel so in the end I don't care what label they give him.  He really showed off for the doctor today with his "ring" sitting (ie sitting with his feet touching as opposed to legs straight out in front of him), moving around in a circle on his belly, rolling, and putting blocks into a cup and taking them out again.

Z did really well too and the only comment she had about him was that his fine motor skills seemed to be lagging again and perhaps OT should be restarted.  I'll talk to N's OT (who also used to treat Z until it was determined he no longer qualified b/c he had caught up) and see what she thinks.  But I do wonder if some of it isn't my fault/lack of clarity on when things should be done.  For example, the doctor handed Z a crayon today to ask him to draw.  He made a mark on the paper, but he had NEVER held a crayon before.  I had read that crayons/coloring was a skill/activity for children around 18 months, my boys are 17 1/2 months chronologically but only 15 1/2 months adjusted age.  So I haven't given them crayons yet (N exhibited exactly why when it was his turn and the crayon went right to his mouth, he is working on molars!).  Perhaps I should have, but I really wish there was some clarity on stuff like that so that I was prepared! 

So I will be getting some crayons and paper I suppose so that the boys can learn to draw.  DH and I stopped at the toy store on the way home from the doctor (where I forgot to get crayons!) and picked up some of those wooden puzzles with the "handle" on the pieces.  I figured those would be good for fine motor skills as well.  I would happily take suggestions on other activities that your child is doing (or was doing) around 15-18 months.  Did you introduce crayons? Playdough? What other things did you utilize to work on fine motor skills?  Of course I will ask the OT for some suggestions as well, but I find that other mommy's tend to have some really great ideas and I will take all the help I can get! 

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, you are brave. I am terrified of having any more children now or 10 years from now.

    Jaden did the same thing with crayons when I tried it a couple months ago (waaay too young, I but I had a good coupon so I thought I'd buy some early and try. BTW, they have cool triangular big crayons that are supposed to be easier to hold for little ones and, presumably, kids with SPN). Playdough says it's for 2+ on the package. I know because we always buy that to hand out for Halloween and we had to put away the extras for later. Otherwise, I'm soon going to be looking for suggestions myself for that age group!!

    www.outrageousfortune.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! The triangular crayons Shasta mentioned are awesome! Mason uses them. There are also Crayola tub crayons that are round that Mason uses to colour in the tub. My boys did lots of container play at that age - putting blocks into buckets and dumping them out, also filling cups with water and dumping is really good for fine motor (in the tub of course)!

    Not sure if you live in a warm climate but in the summer I would bury small toys in the sand table and get the boys to dig them out. Depending on their developmental abilities pegs stacking is also a great activity. There are many different sizes of peg boards. I started Mason out with large pegs and gradually moved down to smaller pegs.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete