Saturday, October 22, 2011

hanging in

It's day 9 of Lupron and so far, not too bad.  Lupron is the medication used in IVF to shut your system down.  Think menopause, that's kind of what it does hot flashes and all!  I go in Monday for bloodwork and ultrasound to ensure that my body is totally shut down so that we can start stimming.  Either way I won't be starting stimming until November 4th as DH is out of town that week so if I started stimming on 10/28 we would risk DH not being here for the retrieval day and that is not an option.   I have had a few hot flashes and a few flashes of pain in my head (not lasting long enough to count as a headache) and I am a little more tired than usual. 

My boys are doing well.  Z has learned to climb the stairs.  Its a double edged skill as it will be great when I am stimming and don't want to carry my almost 23 pound toddler up the stairs, but on the other hand I have to remember to put the gate across or he scoots himself up if I turn my back for just a second!

N is trying so hard to crawl on his belly.  He moves his legs a little but doesn't quite have the coordination down yet to move the leg and pull to move himself.  He is really close though and I am hoping by Thanksgiving that he will be able to military crawl to get himself around. 

I have been thinking a lot about our home and how to make it work for N.  We live in a two story home that while not tiny, isn't what I would call large.  Its a good size for us, and I love this house, but I worry about how N will get around and how to make it accessible for him.  Obviously he is working hard and we are hopeful that he will eventually walk either on his own, or with a walker/crutches/etc.  But we know he will start with a gait trainer, in fact its in the process of being ordered.  Our living room and dining room are essentially open to each other (there is a doorway but its a huge archway as opposed to a door) but the doorways into the kitchen are a big problem.  The one doorway is narrower than all our other doorways, and the other doorway is wide enough but as soon as you get through it has a radiator and two counters.  Then there is the playroom we have for them, which has a step down into it and its a long room but narrow.  We had our contractor here last week to give us some options.  I felt a little better afterwords as he said he could widen the narrow doorway, and make us a ramp into the playroom if we want it.  DH and I have also started looking at smaller entertainment centers to hopefully allow more space to angle himself through the doorway well, and we are going to get rid of the kitchen table in our kitchen and get a small cart/island instead (we don't eat in there anyway as it was fine for two people, not so much two people and two highchairs!).  As for the playroom, I don't know that the room itself will work with the gait trainer so I think we will pass on the ramp for now and let him play in the playroom while not in the gait trainer. 

Ultimately we want to add on to our home adding a family room, making our kitchen bigger and adding another bedroom on the 2nd floor.  I would love to move to a one story house, but as many people are, we are *slightly* underwater here and while I think we could get enough to cover our mortgage, it wouldn't cover real estate fees, and would give us nothing as a down payment for another home.  (Considering I've heard some mortgage companies are looking for 30-40% down now..........yea, who has that kind of money???).  I am trying to make the best of it, but there are days I just break down and cry.  I want our home to be a safe and secure place for all my children and I worry that N will feel limited or left out because we have a two story home and we don't know yet if he will be able to climb those stairs.  Can you tell I worry a lot?  I think it comes naturally as soon as you get pregnant, and it doubles in intensity when you have a child with special needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment