I could seriously spit nails! N's gait trainer arrived last Thursday and from then until Tuesday I had him walk in it each day. He walked, with me pushing the gait trainer from behind, but it just didn't seem right. He was walking funny, and seemed frustrated and upset. As each day went by I felt more and more like I was going to win worst mommy of the year and it was only the beginning of January! Something was wrong, and I thought I was doing something wrong. Maybe I wasn't putting him in right, or maybe our house really wasn't going to work for this. So I took the gait trainer to the hospital where we have PT once a week (and it was this PT that ordered the gait trainer) and, almost in tears, explained to her what was going on. She took one look at at it and said, well you aren't doing anything wrong its PUT TOGETHER WRONG!!!
We got N the Snug Seat Gator. When it arrived from the vendor (cuz you know you can't just order directly from the manufacturer, there always has to be a third party involved) the side supports (which are supposed to be at his hips) where placed on top near his chest and the back support was placed below that. So with each step he took his legs where hitting the back support and he couldn't take a full step. On top of that our PT couldn't even really fix it as not only did they put it together wrong but the wrong pieces were used since the back support should have a strap to prevent N from bending over at the waist. Additionally they forgot to give us the allen wrench to fix the handles (granted a somewhat minor issue, but when added to the rest of this debacle just aggravated me more). We tried to make it so that N could use it, utilizing a dish towel and a strap I had gotten to keep him upright in a shopping cart, but it just isn't working. So N can't use his gait trainer until it is fixed, which will hopefully be Monday.
I am just so angry. We waited so long for this thing to come in (for no real reason since it didn't go through insurance) and then when it does come it we have to try to make it work using a dish towel and a random strap???!!!! This is so incredibly ridiculous. The one and only way (for now) my son can walk independently and they can't even be bothered to put it together properly? The worst part is, we don't even know who screwed it up so I am not sure who to really yell at. I can tell you I'll be letting every parent I know with a child who may utilize this type of equipment about this.
They better be there first thing monday to fix it or give him a correct one. I'm sorry this process is all so frustrating. the last thing he needs it to not like his gait trainer. hugs!
ReplyDelete